AREA15 Privacy Notice for California Residents
Effective Date: January 21, 2022
Last Reviewed on: January 21, 2022
This Notice does not apply to employment-related personal information collected from California-based employees, job applicants, contractors, or similar individuals. Where noted in this Notice, the CCPA temporarily exempts personal information reflecting a written or verbal business-to-business communication (“B2B personal information”) from some its requirements.
Information We Collect
We collect information that identifies, relates to, describes, references, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer, household, or device (“personal information”). Personal information does not include:
- Publicly available information from government records.
- Deidentified or aggregated consumer information.
- Information excluded from the CCPA’s scope, like:
- health or medical information covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) and the California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act (CMIA) or clinical trial data;
- personal information covered by certain sector-specific privacy laws, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) or California Financial Information Privacy Act (FIPA), and the Driver’s Privacy Protection Act of 1994.
In particular, we have collected the following categories of personal information from our clients and investors within the last twelve (12) months:
|A. Identifiers||A real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, Social Security number, driver’s license number, passport number, or other similar identifiers.||YES|
|B. Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)).||A name, signature, Social Security number, physical characteristics or description, address, telephone number, passport number, driver’s license or state identification card number, insurance policy number, education, employment, employment history, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information, medical information, or health insurance information. Some personal information included in this category may overlap with other categories.||YES|
|C. Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law.||Age (40 years or older), race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, veteran or military status, genetic information (including familial genetic information).||YES|
|D. Commercial information.||Records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.||YES|
|E. Biometric information.||Genetic, physiological, behavioral, and biological characteristics, or activity patterns used to extract a template or other identifier or identifying information, such as, fingerprints, faceprints, and voiceprints, iris or retina scans, keystroke, gait, or other physical patterns, and sleep, health, or exercise data.||NO|
|F. Internet or other similar network activity.||Browsing history, search history, information on a consumer’s interaction with a website, application, or advertisement.||YES|
|G. Geolocation data.||Physical location or movements.||YES|
|H. Sensory data.||Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information.||NO|
|I. Professional or employment-related information.||Current or past job history or performance evaluations.||NO|
|J. Non-public education information (per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. Section 1232g, 34 C.F.R. Part 99)).||Education records directly related to a student maintained by an educational institution or party acting on its behalf, such as grades, transcripts, class lists, student schedules, student identification codes, student financial information, or student disciplinary records.||NO|
|K. Inferences drawn from other personal information.||Profile reflecting a person’s preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.||YES|
We obtain the categories of personal information listed above from the following categories of sources:
- Directly from you. For example, from forms you complete or products and services you purchase.
- Indirectly from you. For example, from observing your actions on our Web site.
- Third party vendors that provide databases.
Use of Personal Information
We do not sell your personal information. We may use or disclose the personal information we collect for one or more of the following purposes:
- To fulfill or meet the reason you provided the information. For example, if you share your name and contact information to ask a question about our services, we will use that personal information to respond to your inquiry. If you provide your personal information to purchase a service, we will use that information to provide that service to you. We may also save your information to facilitate future communications and services
- To provide, support, personalize, and develop our Web site, products, and services
- To create, maintain, customize, and secure your account with us
- To process your requests, transactions, and payments and prevent transactional fraud
- To provide you with support and to respond to your inquiries, including to investigate and address your concerns and monitor and improve our responses
- To help maintain the safety, security, and integrity of our Web site, products and services, databases and other technology assets, and business
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations
- To research and better understanding our audience
- To develop, research and test features and offerings including improvements to our services
- To increase the functionality and user-friendliness of our services
- To personalize your experience on our services and delivering advertising, marketing, promotions, content and product and service offerings relevant to your interests
- To maintain the functionality, safety, security, and integrity of our products, properties, services, databases and other technology assets
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations
- To prevent physical threat, harm, threats to safety, liability, risks, criminality or tortious conduct onto you, us, our users, their property, or defend or assert legal rights
- As described to you when collecting your personal information or as otherwise set forth in the CCPA.
- To evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding
We will not collect additional categories of personal information or use the personal information we collected for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing you notice.
Sharing Personal Information
We may disclose your personal information to a third party for a business purpose. When we disclose personal information for a business purpose, we make efforts to ensure that the recipient will both keep that personal information confidential and not use it for any purpose except performing the contract.
We share your personal information with the following categories of third parties:
- Firms that provide assistance in servicing Area15 and that have a need for such information, such as CRMs or other service providers.
Disclosures of Personal Information for a Business Purpose
In the preceding twelve (12) months, AREA15 has disclosed the following categories of personal information for a business purpose:
Category A: Identifiers.
Category B: California Customer Records personal information categories.
Category C: Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law.
Category D: Commercial information
Category F: Internet or other similar network activity
Category G: Geolocation data
Category K: Inferences drawn from other personal information.
We disclose your personal information for a business purpose to the following categories of third parties:
- Service providers.
Sales of Personal Information
In the preceding twelve (12) months, AREA15 has not sold personal information.
Your Rights and Choices
The CCPA provides California residents with specific rights regarding their personal information. This section describes your CCPA rights and explains how to exercise those rights.
Access to Specific Information and Data Portability Rights
You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will disclose to you:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling that personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that personal information.
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you (also called a data portability request).
- If we sold or disclosed your personal information for a business purpose, two separate lists disclosing:
- sales, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient purchased; and
- disclosures for a business purpose, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient obtained.
We do not provide these access and data portability rights for B2B personal information.
Deletion Request Rights
You have the right to request that we delete any of your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records, unless an exception applies.
We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service provider(s) to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information, provide a service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Exercise another right provided for by law.
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 et. seq.).
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
We do not provide these deletion rights for B2B personal information.
Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights
To exercise the access, data portability, and deletion rights described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us by either:
- Calling us at (702) 846-1900
- Emailing us at email@example.com
- Using the form available here https://share.hsforms.com/1JnmyYlN9QtqJHR6Oce3C4w30p3m
Only you, or someone legally authorized to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to your personal information. You may also make a verifiable consumer request on behalf of your minor child. You may only make a verifiable consumer request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period. The verifiable consumer request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative, which may include:
- An email address that operates as a user log-in with Area 15, name, and date of birth.
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you. Making a verifiable consumer request does not require you to create an account with us. We will only use personal information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make the request.
Response Timing and Format
We endeavor to respond to a verifiable consumer request within forty-five (45) days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to 45 additional days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing.
Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the verifiable consumer request’s receipt. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable. We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights.
Changes to Our Privacy Notice
We reserve the right to amend this Notice at our discretion and at any time. When we make changes to this Notice, we will post the updated Notice on our Web site and update the Notice’s effective date. Your continued use of our Web site services following the posting of changes constitutes your acceptance of such changes.
Phone: (702) 846-1900